Shortbread Saskatoon Berry Cookies
1 cup of Butter, softened
2/3 cup of white sugar
1/2 teaspoon of almond extract
2 cups of flour
1/2 – 1 cup of saskatoon berry pie filling or spread
1/2 cup of confectioners sugar
1-2 teaspoon of milk
3/4 teaspoon of almond extract
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F
- In a bowl, cream together butter and white sugar until smooth. Mix in almond extract. Mix in flour until dough comes together, it may seem a little crumbly.
- Roll dough into 1 inch balls and place on an ungreased baking sheet. Make a small indent in the middle of the cookie with thumb and fill the hole with Saskatoon berry pie filling or spread.
- Bake for 14-18 minutes or until lightly browned. Let cool for a minute and transfer to wire cooling rack.
- To make the icing mix the confectioners sugar, milk and extract until its the consistency you desire.