Saskatoon Berry Pie
2 bags of 40g freeze dried Saskatoon Berries
1/4 c sugar
1 tbsp flour
Zest of a small lemon
1.5 c flour
1 tbsp sugar
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 c cold butter
5-8 tbsp ice water
- Rehydrate berries in water for a few hours and then pour off excess water. Add sugar, lemon zest and flour and mix well. Pour mixture into pie crust. Place small lumps of butter on top of filling (about 1- 2 tablespoons total). Cover with a second piece of pastry. Crimp the edges of the pie and vent the top. Brush top of pastry with the beaten egg.
- Bake 15 min at 425f and one hour at 350f.
- Makes one 7″ pie
- Mix together flour, sugar, and salt.
- Cut butter into flour mixture until crumbly (I use my fingers but a food processor or knives works too!)
- Add water 1tbsp at a time mixing with a fork until the mixture is shaggy
- Bring mix into a ball. Roll out between two pieces of saran wrap and refrigerate for a few hours.
- Remove from fridge and shape into pan. Makes enough dough for top and bottom pastry.