Saskatoon Berry Donuts
2 packages of Prairie Berries Fibre Boost
3 1/4 cup all purpose flour
3/4 cup of sugar (could sub honey)
1/2 tsp baking soda
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1/4 cup melted butter
Vegetable oil, for frying
- Fill a pan with about 1 inch of vegetable oil.
- Mix all dry ingredients in a medium bowl.
- In another bowl combine melted butter, buttermilk and eggs.
- Using a whisk or spoon gradually whisk the dry ingredients into the wet until a sticky dough is formed.
- Transfer the dough to a lightly floured work surface. Use your hands to press the dough into a 1/2 inch thick rectangle.
- Heat your oil over medium-heat.
- While oil is heating up cut out your donuts – I use a large cookie cutter and small one for the hole.
- Place your donuts and donut holes neat your oil on a pan.
- Test a donut hole to make sure the oil is the right temperature. The donut hole should puff up and turn golden brown within 2 minutes.
- Carefully drop donuts into the oil. Allow the donuts to fry for about 2-3 minutes per side or under golden brown.
- Carefully remove your donuts from the oil and transfer to a wire rack with papertowel underneath to catch any extra oil.
- Repeat the process until all your donuts are cooked.
- Glaze your donuts while the donuts are still warm so it sticks.
- Best enjoyed within 24 hours of cooking.