Saskatoon Berry Cream Cheese Crumb Cake
1 1/2 cup of brown sugar
1 1/2 cup of all-purpose flour
1 1/2 teaspoon of ground cinnamon
1 cup of rolled oats
2/3 cup of vegetable oil
5 cups of Saskatoon Berries fresh or Freeze Dried whole berries (5 x 40g Freeze Dried Saskatoon Berry packages)
1/3 cup of water
2 tablespoons of lemon juice
3/4 cup of white sugar
2 tablespoons of all-purpose flour
Cream Cheese Layer:
4 ounce of cream cheese, diced
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease an 8-inch square baking pan. If using Freeze Dried berries rehydrate the berries in warm water for 20 minutes
- Whisk brown sugar, 1 1/2 cups of flour, oats, and cinnamon together in a bowl; gradually stir in oil until mixture is crumbly. Press half the crumb mixture into the prepared pan; set remaining crumbs aside for topping.
- Bake in the preheated oven until firm, about 10 minutes. Remove crust from oven and cool slightly, leaving oven on.
- Place Saskatoon Berries and water in saucepan. If you are using freeze dried berries drain the water after rehydrating the berries and add the berries to pot. Bring to a simmer and cook for 10 minutes; stir in lemon juice. Whisk white sugar and flour together in a small bowl; stir sugar mixture into berries and cook until the mixture begins to thicken, about 3 minutes. Allow to cool for a few minutes; pour berry filling over crumb crust.
- Sprinkle cream cheese pieces over berry filling. Spread remaining crumb mixture over cream cheese layer and press gently with a potato masher.
- Bake in the pre heated oven until crumb topping is golden and filling is bubbly, about 40 minutes.