Saskatoon Berry Donuts
2 packages of Prairie Berries Fibre Boost
3 1/4 cup all purpose flour
3/4 cup of sugar (could sub honey)
1/2 tsp baking soda
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1/4 cup melted butter
Vegetable oil, for frying
1. Fill a pan with about 1 inch of vegetable oil.
2. Mix all dry ingredients in a medium bowl.
3. In another bowl combine melted butter, buttermilk and eggs.
4. Using a whisk or spoon gradually whisk the dry ingredients into the wet until a sticky dough is formed.
5. Transfer the dough to a lightly floured work surface. Use your hands to press the dough into a 1/2 inch thick rectangle.
6. Heat your oil over medium-heat.
7. While oil is heating up cut out your donuts – I use a large cookie cutter and small one for the hole.
8. Place your donuts and donut holes neat your oil on a pan.
9. Test a donut hole to make sure the oil is the right temperature. The donut hole should puff up and turn golden brown within 2 minutes.
10. Carefully drop donuts into the oil. Allow the donuts to fry for about 2-3 minutes per side or under golden brown.
11. Carefully remove your donuts from the oil and transfer to a wire rack with papertowel underneath to catch any extra oil.
12. Repeat the process until all your donuts are cooked.
13. Glaze your donuts while the donuts are still warm so it sticks.
14. Best enjoyed within 24 hours of cooking.